Success with a New Technique

Posted by MNAngler On May - 17 - 2010

Species: Largemouth Bass
Size: 16″
Lure used: Texas rigged Slurpie watermelon worm with bullet weight

Date: 5/16/2010
Time: 6:00-9:30am
Body of water: Lake Vadnais
Location: Shoreview, MN
Weather Conditions: sunny

If I didn’t get out fishing on the biggest fishing weekend of the year for Minnesota, I couldn’t very well call myself a fishing blogger in Minnesota. So I got up at 5:45am Sunday morning and headed out to Lake Vadnais. It looked promising because the map at the Minnesota DNR web site showed some drop offs not far from shore.

When I got there a little after 6am, there were already half a dozen cars on the South side of a rest area-like turnaround that is built on a small peninsula. I parked on the North side and walked up the road a little ways to cast off shore. I was amazed at how clear the water was. Probably the clearest water I’ve seen in the metro area. It’s actually not surprising because the lake is used as a reservoir for drinking water.

I sent casts with a bubble gum fluke straight out, but also threw some under some trees that hung out over the water. I didn’t get any hits, so I figured all those guys on the South shore must know something, so I headed over to them.

I found a spot between two anglers and changed my lure to a Daredevil. All the fisherman there had huge reels that looked like saltwater rods and reels. Some of the rods were as long as 12 feet. They were just being propped up on shore with the lines were going straight out. These guys all had domestic trucks, SUVs, or a 70s era tank of a car, so I felt a bit out of place coming in with my Japanese import and casting instead of sitting in a lawn chair watching a propped up rod.

I tried a few casts, but it was kind of close quarters and the gentlemen didn’t seem to appreciate my casting. So I headed further South down the shore past all the claimed spots. I tried the Daredevil, orange/brown spinnerbait, and bubble gum fluke for a while, but wasn’t having any success, so I moved back to the North side of the point.

There, I cast out the fluke a few more times before switching to a texas rigged worm. The worm was one I had rigged in my tackle box for a while, so I decided to put on a fresh watermelon colored Slurpie worm. I was hopping it on the bottom practicing my technique more than anything because I had never really fished with a plastic worm on the bottom before. Since the water was so clear, I could watch the worm come back to see what it was doing.

On about the third or fourth cast, I felt some weeds, but it tugged a little differently. I tugged back harder than usual and a swirl appeared on the surface of the water. From down the shore, I heard someone yell, “woo!” He knew I had a fish on before I did because it wasn’t until there was some major surface splashing that I realized I really had a fish on. It didn’t fight that hard, so I thought it would be a smaller fish. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I first saw it. It was a pig! It turned out to be a 16″ largemouth bass with an 11″ girth. I asked the “woo” guy to take my picture and let the girl go.

The worm didn’t produce for the next hour, so I also tried a rebel crawfish and blue/silver spoon to see if I could stir anything up. But I didn’t get any more action for the rest of the time I was there.

While I was at that spot, I couldn’t believe the turnover of fisherman coming through. A pair of guys threw out minnows under bobbers for about a half hour, and a father and his kid only tried for about a half hour or so, too. The “woo” guy was probably there for an hour and a half. He probably only stayed because I caught my fish just a few minutes after he got there. One guy came by, had a huge ball bobber attached to his line about 6 ft up. His first cast got stuck in a tree and then he packed up an left. I think he was embarrassed because I later found him on the South side of the point.

Mark later told me that the guys on the South side were fishing for lunker walleyes. Apparently, they set up a lindey rig and throw it out as far as they can go. I did notice they were getting some pretty long casts. About twice as far out as mine. There is a drop off out there and they just toss it out with an open bail and wait. They have a little piece of tin foil on the line near the tip of the pole that is attached such that it goes out with the line. They then wait up to 60 seconds and then set the hook. I guess they’ve pulled some monsters out of that lake. Some guys sit out there all day. Mark says it’s worth it, so they must be pretty big.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

One Response to “Success with a New Technique”

  1. […] my last outing, I caught a nice 16″ largemouth by bottom bouncing a texas rigged Slurpie worm with loose […]

Leave a Reply